- Search for the template that you like (use google.Type blogger template free). There are 2 formats, the xml and the copy-paste one. You download xml and copy-paste the other one.
- Open your blogger acct, click 'customize' at the upper right corner. Click 'edit html', the second tab after page elements.
- Check the 'expand widget' box. And copy-paste the codes in the box using notepad to back up your old template.
- View your blog.
- Click the screwdriver icon at the end of each widget. And copy-paste again the codes that will pop-up in notepad. Be sure to name them so you will not be confused later when you set them up. There are some widgets which doesn't have codes, just take note of their kinds. You can get them again when you add gadgets using your new template. Just copy-paste the codes until you exhausted all your widgets.
- Go back to 'edit html' window and upload your xml template or if you got the copy-paste one, replace the codes in the html box with your new one.
- Save and view your new template!
I encountered another way of backing up but it is only good for those who have knowledge in html codes. You search and copy every widget code. Then once the html code of the new template is available in the html box, the next problem is where to paste the copied widget codes. Surely,this is no good for those who can't read the html language.